Well, I'm going to update people on the main events of the past year before I start whining about my current life events. One year and two months ago I moved from Norfolk, Virginia to Misawa, Japan. On January 19, 2011 I was married to my long-time boyfriend and love, Anthony, in a small ceremony at a legal office. I learned early that influences of social pressures happen very easily in
foreign places. I am aware of what others around me are doing, or how
they are speaking, so I follow along. I use chopsticks all the
time--even for salad. The portion sizes are different, but I feel full
anyway. Last night I learned that there
are a lot of social places in the area where Americans are not allowed.
For some you must have a Japanese friend with you, for some others it
won't matter if you have a Japanese friend, the owners will not let you
in. Its interesting, but I wonder how much I am really missing out on. All in all I love Japan. The only catch about this place is that everything is covered in snow.
Did you think I was going to say language barrier? That part isn't much
different from being at JMU--I didn't speak the same language as most of
the preppy kids there either.
| Our House |
AT RESTURAUNTS in the area we can get by with a little Japanese and pointing or hand gestures. Many places have English menus or picture menus. The Japanese sometimes eat cold noodles. I have yet to develop a taste for this. McDonald's. It's so much better in Japan! My first attempt was a bad choice, but ever since then I have enjoyed eating there. They have a series called Big America and it features a new sandwich each week that is named after a famous American place. The service is always good.
![]() |
| Little Desserts from Le Monde |
We were introduced to a place that is famous for Okonomi yaki - a traditional Japanese pancake made
with vegetables and meat. IT WAS DELICIOUS! Another place we've tried is Tony Romas American style steak house. I loved the spinach artichoke dip.
Anthony got the ribs, steak and shrimp. Everything was great!
![]() |
| Cheese Roll |
![]() |
| Pink Sushi |
![]() |
| Kids played here in the summer |
After we adopted our dog, Mercy, there was a big
earthquake that happened while I was walking the dog. I can't describe how
weird it is to feel the concrete sidewalk move beneath your feet. It
seemed like the Japanese people near me didn't think it was important
enough to stop walking or doing what they were doing, though.
When it got warmer Anthony and I
rode our bikes down to Miss Veedol beach. The beach area had intense damage. The brick-lined sidewalks were gone. We saw stacks
of bricks where workers are trying to rebuild the walkways. The parking
lot looked like a war zone. pieces of pavement were lifted and thrown on
other pieces of pavement. It was like a jigsaw puzzle. The guard rails on the walk way were bent over as if a
giant had stepped on them.
MERCY is our little Shiba Inu. She's small and cat-like. I love her. During the summer when she was in heat we were attacked by a male dog who I'm sure
wanted to hump her. I scooped her up real quick. Then I saw something
that made me sad. The dog's owner came over to get him and he hit and
kicked the dog. Its not meant as abuse, its meant as punishment, but I
felt kind of bad for the thing. He didn't mean to, I've seen him before
and he always wants to meet Mercy.
![]() |
| Cherry Blossoms |
We got our picture taken at a photo booth but
neither of us knew what we were doing.
It is totally different from America. The booth is bigger, you can add words and things to the pictures in editing,
you can choose a background. We went to a bar called
Aloha's. The bar tenders were awesome. The drinks
were good. We had a wild good time.
Cherry Blossom Festival 3hr drive to Hirosake in the Iwate Prefecture. It was cold, windy and
slightly rainy. To get into the main fair grounds is free. To get
into the castle and the botanical gardens is 300Y.
The first thing I tried was fried chicken on a stick that had a little
mayo on it--OISHII! We walked around and saw some performers on a stage.
At first I didn't realize there were people sitting on low benches in the
front. Different from America; I'm not sure old people would want to sit
so close to the ground. I also saw the picnic area. No tables, but a
big blue tarp with some shelter above it. I found out lightly
candied strawberries. It was
more naturally sweet than sweet from the candy (also on a stick ^_^). Anthony bought a soda in a glass bottle. I wanted to
get one too, but it didn't happen. He didn't know how to open it, but I
watched some other girls do it, so I pushed the ball into the bottle
and fizzy soda went EVERYWHERE! HAHA. It was yummy.
Anthony got an Octopus leg (ewww). We saw the Lotus Pond and the Cherry Blossom Tunnel. The tunnel
was so pretty! It was beside a little pond where people could rent
boats and paddle around. The castle was much smaller than we had thought it would
be. But that makes sense I guess, cause this is Japan and the people are
smaller and the culture is different. Americans think larger.I got to use my first Japanese style toilet. It is in the ground. And there was a spider in my stall so it was JUST like CAMPING! -_- Oh, and no soap or paper towels either. It was an adventure. Not my favorite thing, but not horribly bad. Then Anthony and I went to a haunted house type thing. Anthony made me go first because he's a scardy cat. The place was DARK with only black lights and black light paint on some black curtains. There was two guys in masks running around popping out in places. It was fun. I scared one of the guys because I saw his shoe and I poked the curtain he was behind. ^_^
I saw something that looked like marshmallows on a stick with chocolate sauce. It was soft bread with some kind of salty teriyaki and soy sauce. I was not a fan. Many street venders were selling cherry blossom or apple products. ^_^ The first thing we tried was cherry blossom sake. The next thing we tried was apple vinegar. I was hesitant at first because... well it doesn't sound like something I should be drinking. But no, it was totally drinkable! I think the Japanese people thought we were funny for being so hesitant. The next vender had apple juice. ^_^ It was sweet and filling. www.town.itayanagi.amori.jp is the website.
![]() |
| Banana on a Stick |
![]() |
| Hirosake Castle |












No comments:
Post a Comment