Between looking for jobs and applying for school I have been feeling kind of crazy. Oh, and this Spartan Race this weekend. That should be fun.
Really, though. I'm excited to try this race out. Since I have some time on my hands I went ahead and read the training manual that the race creators give out free for signing up for a race. I read about the history and reason behind obstacle course racing (and they have training programs for people who are getting ready to compete). I realized that a lot of humans are grasping at an idea that turns into a life style. I am grasping an idea. I am realizing a new lifestyle. I must have known in my cells that this life I have is more rewarding when there is struggle that leads to growth.
Let's talk about that. Struggle in and of itself MAY be good, but I don't think so. If your struggle begets more struggle then what's the point? If you aren't moving forward--learning, growing, and changing--you are stagnant. You die. Okay, maybe not die completely, but your brain stops learning, your muscles stay unchanged and you may even reverse any progress you made previously. However, when struggle begets growth (spiritual, mental, physical) we become more of who we really are as individuals--become who we have wanted to be. We can even make growth come from a struggle that has been going on for years, and from struggles that may have seemed worthless. All of life has lessons for us, we just have to look for them.
The first time I realized I enjoyed struggle was when I joined the high school soccer team. I played for three years and in that time I got fatter. I'm not sure how or why that happened, but I do know that I enjoyed working with a team (even if it was with hormonal teenage girls. We mostly got along). I still hated working out, but I enjoyed the competition and the struggle to make my body do something it had never done before. Why didn't I have this drive before? Shouldn't I have tried harder in P.E. classes? No. I believe that P.E. teachers don't learn passion for what they are teaching. Maybe my teachers had been teaching too long. Maybe they were teaching only so they could coach high school sports. People who are passionate about heath will work where they can also earn a comfortable living. They should! They have trained, been educated, and have valuable skills to pass along. Teaching jobs don't usually give the gratification that working in other areas do. I'm talking about passion because when someone is passionate about something you can't help but feel their excitement and get a little excited, too.
The next time I realized I enjoyed struggle was in Misawa, working with Carlos Elliott. Talk about passion! This man was birthed by boxing at a time when boxing legends were still kicking it. He pushes his students farther than they could imagine. In a blunt way of teaching a student to "sink or swim," he takes you out to the middle of the lake and throws you out of the boat. If you have the grit to make it, you'll come out a champion. I realized there that I was in pain, I was struggling to breath, but I was becoming the kick-ass champ I had always wanted to be. Most nights at that gym were tough; I've almost passed out, been bruised, cried a time or two. I was motivated and I met some amazing people who helped me become better.
Now here I stand. At least 5 days and an obstacle race between me and my next post. For the past two weeks I have been in beast mode--working hard, sweating a lot, eating clean--making sure I am the best possible version of myself. I fully realize that my current "beast mode" will be my future warm up. I'm excited to get there.
In talking about struggles, sweat, and tears, I don't want to forget one other fact of life that is sometimes the greatest struggle. Transformations take time, and everyone's time is different. There is no one plan that works for all people at all times. I took longer than a year to work my way down. I stopped at a lot of plateaus, I re-gained sometimes, I didn't want to give up foods I had always loved. Sometimes changing my diet and exercise felt impossible, but I did it on my terms and when I was ready. If you aren't ready to make the change--ready in body (planning), mind (determination) and spirit (patience)--you won't go as far as you can.

Really, though. I'm excited to try this race out. Since I have some time on my hands I went ahead and read the training manual that the race creators give out free for signing up for a race. I read about the history and reason behind obstacle course racing (and they have training programs for people who are getting ready to compete). I realized that a lot of humans are grasping at an idea that turns into a life style. I am grasping an idea. I am realizing a new lifestyle. I must have known in my cells that this life I have is more rewarding when there is struggle that leads to growth.
Let's talk about that. Struggle in and of itself MAY be good, but I don't think so. If your struggle begets more struggle then what's the point? If you aren't moving forward--learning, growing, and changing--you are stagnant. You die. Okay, maybe not die completely, but your brain stops learning, your muscles stay unchanged and you may even reverse any progress you made previously. However, when struggle begets growth (spiritual, mental, physical) we become more of who we really are as individuals--become who we have wanted to be. We can even make growth come from a struggle that has been going on for years, and from struggles that may have seemed worthless. All of life has lessons for us, we just have to look for them.
The first time I realized I enjoyed struggle was when I joined the high school soccer team. I played for three years and in that time I got fatter. I'm not sure how or why that happened, but I do know that I enjoyed working with a team (even if it was with hormonal teenage girls. We mostly got along). I still hated working out, but I enjoyed the competition and the struggle to make my body do something it had never done before. Why didn't I have this drive before? Shouldn't I have tried harder in P.E. classes? No. I believe that P.E. teachers don't learn passion for what they are teaching. Maybe my teachers had been teaching too long. Maybe they were teaching only so they could coach high school sports. People who are passionate about heath will work where they can also earn a comfortable living. They should! They have trained, been educated, and have valuable skills to pass along. Teaching jobs don't usually give the gratification that working in other areas do. I'm talking about passion because when someone is passionate about something you can't help but feel their excitement and get a little excited, too.
The next time I realized I enjoyed struggle was in Misawa, working with Carlos Elliott. Talk about passion! This man was birthed by boxing at a time when boxing legends were still kicking it. He pushes his students farther than they could imagine. In a blunt way of teaching a student to "sink or swim," he takes you out to the middle of the lake and throws you out of the boat. If you have the grit to make it, you'll come out a champion. I realized there that I was in pain, I was struggling to breath, but I was becoming the kick-ass champ I had always wanted to be. Most nights at that gym were tough; I've almost passed out, been bruised, cried a time or two. I was motivated and I met some amazing people who helped me become better.Now here I stand. At least 5 days and an obstacle race between me and my next post. For the past two weeks I have been in beast mode--working hard, sweating a lot, eating clean--making sure I am the best possible version of myself. I fully realize that my current "beast mode" will be my future warm up. I'm excited to get there.
In talking about struggles, sweat, and tears, I don't want to forget one other fact of life that is sometimes the greatest struggle. Transformations take time, and everyone's time is different. There is no one plan that works for all people at all times. I took longer than a year to work my way down. I stopped at a lot of plateaus, I re-gained sometimes, I didn't want to give up foods I had always loved. Sometimes changing my diet and exercise felt impossible, but I did it on my terms and when I was ready. If you aren't ready to make the change--ready in body (planning), mind (determination) and spirit (patience)--you won't go as far as you can.




No comments:
Post a Comment