Living in a hotel for 5 days is a good way to gain extra weight. I feel gross. Its not just eating things that are convenient, its wanting to spend time with friends and that is usually accompanied by very delicious and irresistible food. I love my friends. I love food. I hate that I'm not more disciplined, but as a work in progress I know I could have done a lot worse even just last year.
Moving during the winter sucks. I still need my cold weather clothes and I need warm weather clothes because of where I'm going. And having to walk around in twenty-degree temperatures sucks. Luckily the weather hasn't been too bad. The hotel room is dry and my allergies are kicked up worse than a pissed on bull.
I've been thinking about transitioning to this new place and unlike traveling to a country that I have never been to, Hawaii is at least an English-speaking island. So here are lists of things that I'll miss about Japan, won't miss about Japan, and my hopes for the next few years of my life.
What I will miss:
Moving during the winter sucks. I still need my cold weather clothes and I need warm weather clothes because of where I'm going. And having to walk around in twenty-degree temperatures sucks. Luckily the weather hasn't been too bad. The hotel room is dry and my allergies are kicked up worse than a pissed on bull.
I've been thinking about transitioning to this new place and unlike traveling to a country that I have never been to, Hawaii is at least an English-speaking island. So here are lists of things that I'll miss about Japan, won't miss about Japan, and my hopes for the next few years of my life.
What I will miss:
- Ramen
- Onsens
- The quiet. Japanese people aren't loud, the cars and trucks aren't loud. I like it.
- My friends. It took me so long to open up and find the people who I have come to consider a second family to me. I love them and this isn't a good-bye but see you later.
- Fresh Sushi
- Kimonos
- Festivals (although I'm sure there will be something similar in Hawaii)
- Okonomiyaki
- Sweets which aren't all that sweet but which are still deliciously satisfying
- The focus on community and togetherness. There is a sense that we should do our best and do it together.
- The order of this society. There is little to be scared of in Japan. People keep to themselves and are very polite and nice when dealing with others.
What I won't miss:
- 106 inches of snow in two months
- 20 degree (F) weather/ 7 months of winter
- Clothes that are just a little too small for me
- Fashion that doesn't really make sense to me
- Not having current American TV
- The one radio station and not being able to access Pandora
- Going in to a bar and not hearing English
- Not being able to read the menu
What I'm looking forward to:
- Understanding the people around me (although I've heard the dialect might take a while to understand)
- Not owning a car (I want to be car-free for my and the Earth's health, lets send positive thoughts my way for that, it might be hard.)
- Meeting people in the Shiba Pack I found on Facebook. Mercy can have a pack now!
- Working in a new environment
- Being closer to home
- Being more health-conscious
I'm sure there is more that I will remember later, but this is a pretty good list for now. Making this transition is scary. Making any transition is scary. I'm hopeful that the next few years are going to be blessed with amazing adventures that I never thought possible. I'm going with my heart and mind open.



I will miss you more than I can express. Be safe and may you have all the love and happiness you deserve. Thank you for coming into my life, I will forever carry your mark upon my heart.
ReplyDelete