Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Detox Day 1

I forgot to take pictures. I'll remember later. The breakfast smoothie is my favorite, so it is my repeat smoothie for the snack. My tweaks to the lunch smoothie didn't pan out. Today I'm trying it with 3/4TBS coconut water and 1/4TBS olive oil. I forgot to thaw out the pineapple in the freezer, so I substituted strawberries in. Maybe I didn't blend it enough, or maybe it was just a bad combination, but it was NOT delicious. I say that maybe I didn't blend it enough because the shake was chunky and I'm sensitive to tactile sensations. I couldn't deal with the texture. It took me about three hours to drink it all. The celery taste was strong, and the olive oil gave it a weird after taste. Trial and errors in the kitchen are important, though. Its like my own personal chem lab where I get to have fun. I said that I did the breakfast smoothie for the snack, but I substituted three TBS Greek yogurt for the banana and it tasted like perfection. I also have to say that having a good quality almond butter really makes a difference. Also, don't let the lemon seeds slip in to the smoothie. The dinner smoothie was interesting. When I think smoothie I think sweet, not savory; and definitely not spicy. The cayenne pepper gave dinner a spicy after taste that the other ingredients didn't help cover up. I think today I'll use a little less of it. By far, dinner was better than lunch. I was feeling sleepy by 8pm, so I took 1TBSP of crunchy peanut butter as a snack. 

Not eating solid foods is odd. Chewing helps a person feel satisfied. I will chew my food more carefully in the future. I remember being on a liquid diet when I got my wisdom teeth removed and it didn't bother me much... probably because I slept most of the time and had pain and narcotics to help me ignore missing chewing. I also need to do some caloric research on these smoothies. I have a feeling that they are putting me way under what I normally eat to maintain my body weight. Since this cleanse isn't meant as a weight loss tool (I don't imagine most are), I haven't and won't check the scale. I've heard that the first few days are the hardest, but I haven't felt much different from normal.

I also signed up for the Spartan 5K on August 17th here on Oahu. I'm nervous but excited. I will do my best to train 6 days a week. Oh, and this way achieved by total peer pressure.

No comments:

Post a Comment