I woke up and TOTALLY forgot it was Friday. It didn't matter, though. I did my work out with Ms. Jenni--we went to a local elementary school and used the jungle gym for sprints, push-ups and pull-ups. I also finished laundry even though the dryer is broken. Anthony and I have a visitor for the next few weeks. His name is Grommit and he's a friend of Mercy. They've been getting along really well. I had no idea how much energy Mercy has until today. The two pups played and played and played; it is hilarious to watch.
Today's eating was not according to plan. Breakfast was the same smoothie with added whey protein; good, but not filling enough. I ate an early snack. I like the pistachios in the shell because it takes time to eat them. Lunch was a salad, nothing thrilling about that. Snack on some more pistachios and early dinner of veggie soup. I was still feeling unsatisfied, so I ate some cheese and a protein drink.
I really feel normal for the most part. I miss chicken. I told Anthony I'm making homemade BBQ chicken (yes, I make my own sauce) and coleslaw for Monday. With that in mind, I've realized some things about myself over the past few days:
1) I can't live without cheese. I can probably go without moo milk and yogurt, but I can't live happily without cheese.
2) I am made to eat meat. I can live on fish and chicken boobs and enjoy the occasional chopped up cow, but I cannot live life without flesh. I have mad respect for people who go without animal products on their plates. I am weak for a delicious tasty dead animal. In the spirit of being healthy I really do try to keep meat to fish and chicken breast with no breading, no skin, no heavy sauces.
3) Grains/ carbs are amazing. People who know me know that I try to stick with whole grains and I usually only eat one slice of bread (with peanut or almond butter) a day as breakfast. I'm usually really bad at eating sandwiches open face style. I have to ration pasta, and by ration I mean I can't have it in the house unless other people are coming over to eat it. But I love pasta. I love the carb high after not indulging for a while.
4) Chocolate/ desserts. I have successfully converted to dark chocolate and can usually only take a bite or two of the bars I keep in the freezer. I grew up on sweets, fried foods, fast food, meats, and white bread. I know that at an evolutionary level humans are driven towards fat, sweet, and salty because the cycle used to be "Feast and Famine." The human body isn't meant for processed and prepackaged "foods" that are available all the time. Some people find a little bit of sweet to be enough and I really do envy those people. I would say I have come a long way learning to control my sweet tooth and changing what I find sweet and satisfying. However, I still love a hot brownie with cold ice cream and chocolate sauce.
In the universe of SUPER clean eating and SUPER physical health I would like to think I'm average. I am totally fine being average and living an average life and eating healthy 80-85% of the time. I don't need to be the most fit, I just want to be healthy and balanced. My idea of health and balance isn't going to be the same as others'; it probably won't be the same five or ten years down the road, and that's cool. I don't ever expect to be a size 4. Three years ago I never would have guessed I'd be a size 6. Although I have (mostly) always been positive about how I looked and felt I can really tell a difference now that I am eating more cleanly and going outside to exercise. I'm finding balance with every new day.
What does balance look like for you? What will you find you can or can't live without once you try something new?
Today's eating was not according to plan. Breakfast was the same smoothie with added whey protein; good, but not filling enough. I ate an early snack. I like the pistachios in the shell because it takes time to eat them. Lunch was a salad, nothing thrilling about that. Snack on some more pistachios and early dinner of veggie soup. I was still feeling unsatisfied, so I ate some cheese and a protein drink.
I really feel normal for the most part. I miss chicken. I told Anthony I'm making homemade BBQ chicken (yes, I make my own sauce) and coleslaw for Monday. With that in mind, I've realized some things about myself over the past few days:
1) I can't live without cheese. I can probably go without moo milk and yogurt, but I can't live happily without cheese.
2) I am made to eat meat. I can live on fish and chicken boobs and enjoy the occasional chopped up cow, but I cannot live life without flesh. I have mad respect for people who go without animal products on their plates. I am weak for a delicious tasty dead animal. In the spirit of being healthy I really do try to keep meat to fish and chicken breast with no breading, no skin, no heavy sauces.
3) Grains/ carbs are amazing. People who know me know that I try to stick with whole grains and I usually only eat one slice of bread (with peanut or almond butter) a day as breakfast. I'm usually really bad at eating sandwiches open face style. I have to ration pasta, and by ration I mean I can't have it in the house unless other people are coming over to eat it. But I love pasta. I love the carb high after not indulging for a while.
4) Chocolate/ desserts. I have successfully converted to dark chocolate and can usually only take a bite or two of the bars I keep in the freezer. I grew up on sweets, fried foods, fast food, meats, and white bread. I know that at an evolutionary level humans are driven towards fat, sweet, and salty because the cycle used to be "Feast and Famine." The human body isn't meant for processed and prepackaged "foods" that are available all the time. Some people find a little bit of sweet to be enough and I really do envy those people. I would say I have come a long way learning to control my sweet tooth and changing what I find sweet and satisfying. However, I still love a hot brownie with cold ice cream and chocolate sauce.
In the universe of SUPER clean eating and SUPER physical health I would like to think I'm average. I am totally fine being average and living an average life and eating healthy 80-85% of the time. I don't need to be the most fit, I just want to be healthy and balanced. My idea of health and balance isn't going to be the same as others'; it probably won't be the same five or ten years down the road, and that's cool. I don't ever expect to be a size 4. Three years ago I never would have guessed I'd be a size 6. Although I have (mostly) always been positive about how I looked and felt I can really tell a difference now that I am eating more cleanly and going outside to exercise. I'm finding balance with every new day.
What does balance look like for you? What will you find you can or can't live without once you try something new?
No comments:
Post a Comment